Practicum Journal Entry: Certification Plan
Psychiatric/mental health nurse practitioners currently have only one choice for certification, which is through the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). The ANCC offers the “psychiatric/mental-health nurse practitioner (across the lifespan)” board certification (PMHNP-BC). In many states, board certification is needed as a prerequisite to being granted an NP license. Even if board certification is not a requirement for state licensure, it may be a requirement to receive privileges in various hospitals and other health care facilities. It may also be required by malpractice insurance providers prior to issuing coverage to NPs.
In this Practicum Journal Assignment, you will develop a plan, which will serve as the road map for you to follow to attain your certification.
· Analyze state restrictions or limitations for practice
· Compare PMHNP practice environments in various states
· Analyze clinical practice issues
· Create plans for passing national certification exams
To prepare for this Practicum Journal
· Review the interactive nurse practitioner (NP) scope of practice law guide in
your Learning Resources.
· Review your state regulations and a neighboring state or state in which you
would like to practice.
· Reflect on how to approach relocating licensure from one state to another.
· Review certification exam requirements for PMHNPs.
Write a 2- to 3-page paper in which you do the following: (Assignment)
· Describe the Psychiatric and Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP)
practice environment for your home state (Texas), highlighting restrictions or
limitations for practice.
· Compare the PMHNP practice environment in your home state (Texas) with a
neighboring state (Louisiana) or a state in which you would like to practice.
· Describe a professional and/or clinical practice issue a new PMHNP will need to
consider and address with the certification, licensure, credentialing, or relocation
· Develop a checklist for passing the national certification exam, including a
detailed timeline that includes academic preparation (study plan), registration,
financial preparation, etc.