Policy and Regulation in Practice
In this presentation, you select a legal issue in health care to determine relevant legal issues and regulations as well as actions that could be taken to improve the outcome.
The health care industry is heavily regulated from multiple sources. It is important for nurses to understand health care policy and regulatory environments for their local area to make sure they are following industry standards as well as not performing tasks nurses are not allowed to do locally.
Research common legal issues in health care that nurses frequently face or choose one of the legal case studies from the Nurses Service Organization.
Select a legal presentation of interest or area in which you have experience.
Analyze the legal case study and ensure you include the following:
- Summarize the legal issues present in the case.
- Explain how these legal issues impact nursing practice.
- Summarize regulations, laws, and industry standards present in the case.
- Explain how the regulations, laws, and standards impact the nursing practice.
- Brainstorm risk mitigation techniques that the hospital could have employed to prevent the situation and increased compliance with the regulations, laws, or standards relevant to the situation.
- Determine actions the nurse could have taken to improve the outcome and increased compliance with the regulations, laws, or standards relevant to the situation.
Cite at least 3 evidence-based, peer-reviewed sources published within the last 5 years to support your positions.
Format your presentation as one of the following:
- 18- to 20-slide presentation
- The slides themselves should only contain essential information and as little text as possible. Do not design a slide presentation made up of long bullet points. Your speaker notes convey the details you would give if you were presenting. See this link for more help.
- Record and upload a video of a 15- to 20-minute oral presentation. See this link for help.
- Another format approved by your instructor
Include an APA-formatted reference list.