Liability Issues In Nursing: A4
Professional Development Exercises :
- Read the case study presented at the end of Chapter 9 (Guido, p. 185-186).
- Did the lack of documentation in the admitting nurse’s assessment and notes affect the ultimate outcome of this case?
- Was there negligence on the part of the nursing staff in the care of this patient?
- What could the nurse have done differently to facilitate a different outcome in this case?
- How would you decide this case?
- Using the sample professional liability insurance policy (Guido, p. 193-194), locate the various provisions:
- Limits of liability
- Reservation of rights
- Covered injuries
- Defense costs
- Coverage conditions and supplementary payments
- Did you have difficulty finding some of the sections? Would this be a policy that you would consider purchasing for your own liability coverage? Why or why not?
- Read the case study presented at the end of Chapter 10 (Guido, p. 198)
- What provisions of an insurance policy would you consult to determine if an insurance company should pay such a claim, and what would the limits of the liability be?
- Is the nursing home insurance company correct in saying that this is a professional judgment issue?
- Which insurance company (the nursing home’s or that of the administrator of the nursing home, assuming she has coverage) should pay the court-ordered judgment?
- How would you decide the case?
Please combine all of these responses into a single Microsoft Word document for submission
Please submit only complete assignments (not partial or “draft” assignments). Submit only the assignments corresponding to the module in this section.
You are not required to adhere to the 500-1000 word count for each of the responses, but please be thorough in your responses so that you adequately address all aspects of each question.