HP4003: Social Determinants of Health
During this performance task, you will write a paper in which you identify a health gap for a vulnerable population in your community, describe the social determinants that impact the problem, and describe a policy strategy to address the health gap. You will then read a case study that involves a senior patient and answer questions related to discharge planning and addressing social determinants of health.
To complete this Assessment, do the following:
- Be sure to adhere to the indicated assignment length.
- HP4003 Assessment Case Study
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (n.d). Sources for data on social determinants of health. https://www.cdc.gov/socialdeterminants/data/index.htm
Before submitting your Assessment, carefully review the rubric. This is the same rubric the SME will use to evaluate your submission and it provides detailed criteria describing how to achieve or master the Competency. Many students find that understanding the requirements of the Assessment and the rubric criteria help them direct their focus and use their time most productively.
All submissions must follow the conventions of scholarly writing. Properly formatted APA citations and references must be provided where appropriate. Submissions that do not meet these expectations will be returned without scoring.
Your response to this performance task should reflect the criteria provided in the rubric and adhere to the required length. This assessment requires submission of two files: a Health Disparities paper and the Case Study Assessment. Save your files as follows:
- Save the Health Disparities paper as HP4003_HealthDisparitiesPaper_ firstinitial_lastname (for example, HP4003_HealthDisparitiesPaper_J_Smith).
- Save the Case Study Assessment as HP4003_CaseStudy_Assessment_ firstinitial_lastname (for example, HP4003_ CaseStudy_Assessment _J_Smith).
You may submit a draft of your assignment to the Turnitin Draft Check area to check for authenticity. When you are ready to upload your completed Assessment, use the Assessment tab on the top navigation menu.
Important Note: As a student taking this Competency, you agree that you may be required to submit your Assessment for textual similarity review to Turnitin.com for the detection of plagiarism. All submitted Assessment materials will be included as source documents in the Turnitin.com reference database solely for the purpose of detecting plagiarism of such materials. Use of the Turnitin.com service is subject to the Usage Policy posted on the Turnitin.com site.
Click each of the items below for more information on this Assessment.
Many individuals struggle to reach their full health potential. In the United States, many local, regional, state, and national policy initiatives are designed to help mitigate those disparities and eliminate unequal health outcomes. It is important to stay aware of these initiatives so you can put them to use to create better health outcomes for the populations that you engage. The “social determinants of health” approach complements a focus on individual biology of disease with attention to social and economic factors, social support networks, physical and social environments, access to health services, and social and health policies. Engaged nurses have the power to identify social determinants and address them by implementing effective policies to help patients reach their highest attainable standard of health. Keeping this in mind, prepare a 1- to 2-page paper that addresses health disparities in a vulnerable population. Use the following as a guide for your paper:
- Identify a health gap for a vulnerable population (young, old, homeless, LGBTQ, a specific ethnic/cultural group, etc.) in your local community by consulting local, regional, state, or national data.
- The following website can be helpful in locating and selecting data if you choose a community in the U.S.: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) (n.d). Sources for data on social determinant of health. https://www.cdc.gov/socialdeterminants/data/index.htm
- List the characteristics of your selected population using multiple sources of data as support. For example, a community’s health is determined by several influences other than the quality of healthcare. Health disparities are differences in health or health-related outcomes associated with socioeconomic or environmental disadvantage. These disadvantages may be due to economics, education, healthcare access, or health outcomes for racial and ethnic minorities, age (both old and young), mental disabilities, or substance use disorders.
- Identify two social determinants that impact your identified community and explain how those determinants contribute to the health gap.
- Identify and describe a policy strategy that has focused on the health gap for your selected vulnerable population in your community.
Part 2: Case Study Assessment: Senior Patient Discharge Planning Using Social Determinants of Health (1 page)
Nurses strive to support senior patients’ health as they transition from the hospital to their homes. However, hospital-based nurses are frequently more adept at caring for patients in safe and predictable hospital environments and may find it challenging to anticipate the relevant socioeconomic issues patients face when they go home, like access to healthcare, public safety, social support, etc. The case study presented in the Case Study Assessment puts you in the shoes of a nurse who must make important decisions about how to discharge an elderly patient. Read the case study and respond to the questions that follow on the template. Your responses should be about one page in length.