The scene is the same: Lake City Hospital in the northeast United States. Reread the background document to refresh your mind about the nature of the specific health care organization.
- Analyze Scenario 3, using the Scenario Analysis template to the extent that you find it useful.
- Analyze Scenario 4, again using the Scenario Analysis template as you see fit.
- Come to specific conclusions about how to improve cross-cultural communication.
Part 1: Provide your written analysis of each situation in paragraph form, addressing the following questions in each case:
- What diversity, cultural competency, health literacy, and limited English proficiency (LED) communications did you identify?
- What were your first impressions of the effectiveness of the communication?
- Identify and discuss two important issues or barriers that may affect patient safety (quality of care), positive or negative.
- Considering cultural communications obstacles, how effective was inter-cultural communications?
Part 2: Prepare to take a seat in the top management meeting at Lake City Hospital. In a page or less, write a summary report on the key issues you believe must be addressed to improve communication at the hospital. Include the following in your report:
- A brief assessment of the risks the hospital currently runs as a result of cross-cultural communications issues.
- A summary of the kinds of problems and barriers to be overcome, explaining the dynamics of each type, and referencing specific examples from incidents the top management group has heard about. This may include scenarios from Unit 5, Unit 6, or both.
- A brief explanation of the actions you believe should be taken at Lake City Hospital to address the issue.
Your assignment submission consists of the following:
- Part 1: Analysis of two scenarios.
- Part 2: Summary report on key issues in improving cross-cultural communication at Lake City Hospital.
Review the Cultural Competency and Communication Interactive Analysis Scoring Guide to see how you will be graded on this assignment.
Submit your Cultural Competency and Communication Interactive Analysis paper in the assignment area by the end of the week.