CERTIFICATION AND LICENSURE PLAN
· Review practice agreements in your state.
· Identify whether your state requires physician collaboration or supervision for nurse practitioners, and if so, what those requirements are.
· Research the following:
· How do you get certified and licensed as an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) in your state?
· What is the application process for certification in your state?
· What is your state’s board of nursing website?
· How does your state define the scope of practice of a nurse practitioner?
· What is included in your state practice agreement?
· How do you get a DEA license?
· Does your state have a prescription monitoring program (PMP)?
· How does your state describe a nurse practitioner’s controlled-substance prescriptive authority, and what nurse practitioner drug schedules are nurse practitioners authorized to prescribe?
· Post a summary of your findings on your state based on the questions listed above. Explain the types of regulations that exist and the barriers that may impact nurse practitioner independent practice in your state. Be specific. Also, describe what surprised you from your research.