RUA: Analyzing Public Research
The purpose of this paper is to interpret the two articles identified as most important to the group topic.
Course outcomes: This assignment enables the student to meet the following course outcomes.
CO 2: Apply research principles to the interpretation of the content of published research studies. (POs 4 and 8)
CO 4: Evaluate published nursing research for credibility and clinical significance related to evidence-based practice. (POs 4 and 8)
Due date: Your faculty member will inform you when this assignment is due. The Late Assignment Policy applies to this assignment.
Total points possible: 200 points
Preparing the assignment
1. Follow these guidelines when completing this assignment. Speak with your faculty member if you have questions.
2. Please make sure you do not duplicate articles within your group.
3. The paper will include the following:
a. Clinical Question (30 points/15%)
1. Describe the problem: What is the focus of your group’s work?
2. Significance of problem: What health outcomes result from your problem? Or what statistics document this is a problem? You may find support on websites for government or professional organizations.
3. Purpose of the paper: What will your paper do or describe?
***Please note that although most of these questions are the same as you addressed in paper 1, the purpose of this paper is different. You can use your paper 1 for items 1 & 2 above, including any faculty suggestions for improvement provided as feedback.
b. Use Evidence Matrix Table Template: Data Summary – (60 points/30%)
Categorize items in the Evidence Matrix Table, including proper intext citations and reference list entries for each article.
1. References (recent publication within the last 5 years)
2. Purpose/Hypothesis/Study Question(s)
3. Variables: Independent (I) and Dependent (D)
4. Study Design
5. Sample Size and Selection
6. Data Collection Methods
7. Major Findings (Evidence)
c. Description of Findings (60 points/30%)
Describe the data in the Evidence Matrix Table, including proper intext citations and reference list entries for each article.
1. Compare and contrast variables within each study.
2. What are the study design and procedures used in each study; qualitative, quantitative, or mixed method study, levels of confidence in each study, etc.?
3. Participant demographics and information.
4. Instruments used, including reliability and validity.
5. How do the research findings provide evidence to support your clinical problem, or what further evidence is needed to answer your question?
6. Next steps: Identify two questions that can help guide the group’s work.
d. Conclusion (20 points/10%)
Review major findings in a summary paragraph.
1. Evidence to address your clinical problem.
2. Make a connection back to all the included sections.
3. Wrap up the assignment and give the reader something to think about.
e. Format (30 points/15%)
1. Correct grammar and spelling
2. Include a title and reference page
3. Use of headings for each section:
· Synthesis of the Literature
· Implications for Future Work
5. Adheres to current APA formatting and guidelines
6. Include at least two (2) scholarly, current (within 5 years) primary sources other than the textbook
7. 3-4 pages in length, excluding appendices, title, and reference pages
For writing assistance, visit the Writing Center.
Please note that your instructor may provide you with additional assessments in any form to determine that you fully understand the concepts learned.