CN4002: Genetics and Genomics
For this Performance Task Assessment, you will create a patient education fact sheet for a genetic-based health issue that can be used to provide patient education in nursing practice.
Submission Length: Two-part Assessment: 1- to 2-page patient-education fact sheet and 1-page written response to prompts
To complete this Assessment, do the following:
- Be sure to adhere to the indicated assignment length.
- Review the scenario.
- Complete a fact sheet for a genetic-based health issue.
- Complete your responses to the two questions related to the genetic-based health issue.
- Download the Academic Writing Expectations Checklist to review prior to submitting your Assessment.
Before submitting your Assessment, carefully review the rubric. This is the same rubric the SME will use to evaluate your submission and it provides detailed criteria describing how to achieve or master the Competency. Many students find that understanding the requirements of the Assessment and the rubric criteria help them direct their focus and use their time most productively.
All submissions must follow the conventions of scholarly writing. Properly formatted APA citations and references must be provided where appropriate. Submissions that do not meet these expectations will be returned without scoring.
This assessment requires submission of two files. Save your first file as CN4002_firstinitial_lastname_part1 (for example, CN4002_J_Smith_part1) and your second file as CN4002_firstinitial_lastname_part2 (for example, CN4002_J_Smith_part2).
You may submit a draft of your assignment to the Turnitin Draft Check area to check for authenticity. When you are ready to upload your completed Assessment, use the Assessment tab on the top navigation menu.
Important Note: As a student taking this Competency, you agree that you may be required to submit your Assessment for textual similarity review to Turnitin.com for the detection of plagiarism. All submitted Assessment materials will be included as source documents in the Turnitin.com reference database solely for the purpose of detecting plagiarism of such materials. Use of the Turnitin.com service is subject to the Usage Policy posted on the Turnitin.com site.
You are a nurse who treats patients that have many different genetic health issues. At your last staff meeting, your nursing supervisor asked each nurse to develop an educational fact sheet for a genetic-based health issue that you encounter in your day-to-day practice, as well as to respond to some questions related to the genetic-based health issue. You will select a genetic-based health issue, create a fact sheet for the genetic-based health issue you selected, and provide a written response related to the genetic-based health issue you selected.
This assessment has two parts. Click each of the items below for more information on this Assessment.
Create a 1- to 2-page patient education fact sheet for a genetic-based health issue that addresses the following:
- Provide a brief history of the genetic-based health issue you selected, including a description of the genetic-based health issue.
- Analyze statistical information on the genetic-based health issue you selected.
- Be sure to support the statistical information about the genetic-based health issue you selected with evidence from at least three additional scholarly resources.
- Summarize the characteristic signs and symptoms associated with the genetic-based health issue you selected.
- Explain how patients are screened, diagnosed, and treated for the genetic-based health issue you selected.
- Describe patient screening and diagnoses related to the genetic-based health issue you selected.
- Explain any medications that may be used to treat the genetic-based health issue you selected.
- Explain whether pharmacogenomics are being used to treat the genetic-based health issue you selected, or whether research in pharmacogenomics is being conducted for this genetic-based health issue by providing two examples.
When developing your patient education fact sheet, keep in mind that the fact sheet should be visually appealing and appropriate for your patient audience. The patient education fact sheet should be formatted for easy reading, including the use of bullet points and short sentences. Be sure to include at least three scholarly resources in the creation of your patient education fact sheet in addition to the resources for this Competency Assessment.
Provide a 1-page written response that addresses the following related to your patient education fact sheet:
- Explain the nurse’s role in advocating for the patient diagnosed with the genetic-based health issue you selected for your fact sheet.
- Explain the ethical considerations nurses should be prepared to address with patients as they consider information presented in the fact sheet.
- Support these considerations with evidence from at least three scholarly resources in addition to the resources for this Competency Assessment.